Thursday, September 26, 2013

Fluffy Reduced Sugar Whipped Vanilla Frosting, Gluten-free, Vegan or Not

It was officially my youngest's 4th birthday yesterday.  I thought it would be nice to bring some cupcakes to celebrate her special day at preschool.


This reduced sugar frosting on top of some simple white cupcakes turned out great! Just found out that all but one little preschooler ate the whole thing!  The little one just licked all the frosting.  I consider that a success!  I strive to make our goodies less sweet, which is a good thing for the kiddies.  My son often complains that the commercial bakeries make their frostings too sweet and he loves this "less sweet" frosting.  

I had already posted this recipe earlier this week with my gluten-free vegan vanilla cupcakes, but thought it would be easier to locate in a separate entry.  I reduced the sugar content of this fluffy whipped vanilla buttercream frosting.  Next time, I think I could try decrease a little more sugar and less liquid.  


Fluffy Reduced Sugar Whipped Vanilla Frosting 
generously frosts 12 cupcakes

1/4 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
1/4 cup nonhydrogenated margarine or butter
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tbsp milk of your choice, dairy or not

Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.

Add the vanilla and milk and whip for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.  (I have a KitchenAid stand mixer and I like to change from the paddle attachment to the wire whip attachment for a lighter, fluffier frosting).  

Using a piping bag and 1M Wilton tip, I was able to generously frost 12 cupcakes with leftovers.  The key to this frosting is to whip it so full of air that becomes fluffy and not so sweet.

Since I decreased the sugar, the liquids should be adjusted accordingly to maintain some stiffness for piping.  I think you could even omit the milk for a stiffer frosting.  It will firm up in the refrigerator, as the non-hydrogenated fats are heat sensitive.  






The last 3 cupcakes before the kiddies inhaled them!

Enjoy!
Pin It

2 comments:

Let me know what you think!