Friday, September 27, 2013

Easy Buttery Garlic Bread Spread (Garlic Butter), Vegan or Not

My kiddies adore garlic bread!  I had to write this recipe down for them, as I know that they will want to make it just "like mom's".  
Garlic toast hot dog buns 

At my local Canadian grocery store, a loaf of garlic bread (French bread spread with garlic buttery spread) costs $4.  Their garlic spread has a very long (and unnatural) ingredient list.    

A loaf of plain French bread costs $2.  I make my own garlic bread at a fraction of the cost.  No French bread?  I toasted hot dog and hamburger buns (leftover from Baby's birthday party) with this garlic spread and my family loved it!

My kiddies loved this so much, they even had it spread on their morning toast!  

With only 3 simple ingredients, we were able to enjoy "restaurant-style" garlic bread at a fraction of the cost.  I always have dried parsley and garlic powder in my collection of spices.  


With soft non-hydrogenated margarine (I used Becel vegan) or softened butter, this mixes up super fast!  The dried parsley makes the garlic spread look like the ones in the restaurants.  


A great way to use up leftover hot dog buns!  Ready to be toasted in the oven.  

Easy Buttery Garlic Bread Spread (Garlic Butter), Vegan or Not
makes 1/2 cup garlic butter

1/2 cup softened butter or vegan non-hydrogenated margarine (I used Becel vegan)
1 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder* (I tone it down to 1 Tbsp)
1 Tbsp dried parsley
optional:  your favourite shredded cheese

Mix softened butter or margarine, garlic powder and dried parsley together in a bowl.

Spread on your favourite bread (and add shredded cheese, if desired) and bake in hot 375F oven for about 3 minutes or broil until golden brown.  

*I think grated or finely minced fresh garlic would be great.  Just add to taste.  

- Adapted from Allrecipes.com: Great Garlic Bread


Leftover hamburger buns?  Make garlic toast hamburger buns!

Enjoy!
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Sound really good for bread spread because I like its ingredients, thanks for sharing it.I’ll definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried this tonight since I had some left over french bread and wanted a tasty spread for it. Perfect, hit the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good recipe! My hubby liked this better b/c we can control the amount of garlic. He says most store bought garlic bread is too much garlic on it for him. We used butter all of our bread, then put sliced provolone on it and placed it under the broiler which was good too. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garlic butter made with garlic powder? Blasphemy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I don't have French bread, I prefer to use hot dog buns. Something about the way they taste when toasted up with butter or margarine and garlic is just better than plain white or wheat bread

    ReplyDelete
  6. Often I used to eat..love this snack...nice clicks.
    arbi-ki-tikki

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!