Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hamburger Patties with Flaxseed

Yesterday, I was in the mood for a nice, juicy hamburger.  Alas, I haven't had one in almost 2 years!  I had my gallbladder taken out last May and a weird trigger to my gallbladder attacks was commercially baked breads!  My attacks were getting so bad, that even pasta and rice started to wreak havoc.  

I was trying to find a hamburger pattie recipe that did not use breadcrumbs.  I did not feel like baking a loaf of bread to make breadcrumbs... It was great to see ground flax seed as an alternative!  

This recipe turned out very easy and tasty.  In place of salt, pepper and garlic powder, I used Montreal steak spice seasoning.  The ground flax seed gave the meat a very soft texture and it turned out very yummy!   

 Last night's dinner and today's lunch:  
Hamburger patties slathered in gravy along with organic spinach, kale, red chard and red peppers

Hamburger Patties with Flaxseed

1 pound organic ground beef
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup almond or flax seed meal (I used flax seed)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 of an onion, finely chopped

Place all ingredients in a bowl, and combine with your hand or mixer. (I used my KitchenAid mixer.) In place of salt, garlic powder and black pepper, I used 3/4 tsp. Montreal Steak Spice seasoning.

Form into patties. 

Cook on a BBQ, Panini grill, or pan-fry until done to your liking. Serve over a bed of lettuce (surprisingly delicious and I didn't even miss the buns!) and top with ketchup, thinly sliced onions, avocado, etc. Makes about 8-10 small patties. 



Enjoy!
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. That's a great idea! I just leave bread stuff out of my burgers completely, but everyone makes theirs differently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i will try this recipe as it tastes very delicious and plus it is helathy asyou only need to bake it. Techlazy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks so yummy, I can’t wait to try it although I do have a quick question. Do you drain the beans and corn before adding them to the crockpot? UpdateLand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why doesn’t this recipe include nutritional info, such as calories etc? I’ve noticed the same for other recipes…unless I am blind :)
    Kelly Hubbard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks beautiful and delicious! I do some prep ahead meals but not that many. I think this is very worthwhile and nice to know you always have a meal on hand!
    Holly Hooper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you enjoy! I think this should be easy to adapt to cooking on the stove. Love to hear how it turns out.
    Paul Brown

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!