To make life easier, I used my Cuisinart food processor to grate the carrots and apple. Earlier today, I used it to make some roasted garlic and sundried tomato hummus.
This recipe makes 30 mini-muffins but I made 24 mini muffins (as per my mini muffin pan) and 6 regular sized muffins. After filling my mini muffin pan, I used the remaining batter to fill 6 regular sized muffins in 4 oz custard ramekins lined with paper muffin liners.
Carrot Apple Coconut Muffins
makes 24 mini muffins + 6 regular sized muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- (I used 1 cup whole wheat flour + 1/3 cup wheat germ + 2 Tbsp flaxseed)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk (I used 1/3 cup sour cream)
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 carrots, peeled & grated, about 1 cup
- 1 apple, peeled and grated, about 1/2 cup (gala, fuji, pink lady or red delicious are good choices) (I forgot to peel my apple. I ended up with 1 cup grated apple with great results)
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir to combine.
- Mix in the grated carrots, apple and coconut. Place 1 tbsp of batter into greased mini muffin tins. Bake mini muffins for 10-15 minute. Regular sized muffins for 15-18 min for until toothpick comes clean. Serve.
- Adapted from Weelicious: Carrot Apple Coconut Muffins
My youngest couldn't wait to get her hands on one! It was a hit!! Hubby and the kids approved of this recipe (even when I used a blend whole wheat flour/wheat germ/ground flaxseed instead of all purpose flour). The kiddies ate 2 mini muffins each and wanted more. I had to hide the rest to bring for Snack Day tomorrow!