Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Green Juice or Smoothie: Kale, Spinach, Celery, Cucumber and Apple

I have been reading so many health benefits regarding juicing and smoothies.  Why drink my calories when I can enjoy eating food and I have a good diet?   Then I read more about how juicing and smoothies can help supplement a well rounded diet and it is considered a beauty ritual for better skin.  



I used my 10-year old KitchenAid blender.  I do not own a juicer nor do I have a fancy $500 high speed blender.  When I found this tutorial on how to make juice with a blender and then strain it, I had to try it!   

Since I have a regular blender, I diced all my fruits and veggies.  I snipped the kale and spinach with kitchen scissors as small as I could. I wasn't sure if my blender was powerful enough to pulverize and liquify the kale and spinach.  A high speed blender would not require the extra step of chopping the fruits and veggies this small.  

I wanted to pack as much "green", nutrient dense fruits and veggies as possible.  Most recipes call for a handful of this and that, which mean that they are forgiving recipes.  As this is my first juice/smoothie recipe, I decided to write down exact measurements so I can repeat the same drink if my results were fabulous.  I am so glad I am writing it down now!

I made this as a juice.  I blended everything to a smoothie and passed the contents through a jelly bag and squeezed the pulp dry (I had about 2 Tbsp of dry pulp).  If you do have a regular blender, put the coconut water first, then the leafy greens and diced fruit/vegetables afterwards.  The leafy greens get blended better.  After the first sip, I was amazed how delicious, fresh and sweet a combination of kale, spinach, celery, cucumber and apple turned out.  Almost too sweet. 

Green Juice or Smoothie:  Kale Spinach, Celery, Cucumber and Apple
Make 1 serving, about 3/4 cup juice

1/4 cup (2 oz) coconut water, unflavoured/unsweetened
1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
1/2 cup chopped kale
1/2 cup diced apple
1/4 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced cucumber
1/4 cup crushed ice (optional) 

Blend until smooth.  For a smoothie, pour into a glass.  For juice, strain in a jelly or nut milk bag.  Discard or re-use the leftover pulp in baking or cooking. 

- Adapted from GetFitEatRight: Green Smoothie: Kale, Spinach, Celery, Cucumber, Apple


 I had to serve this in a martini glass.  The juice was so delicious and pretty.  Each sip was savoured.   

Enjoy!
Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Just made this, very good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made this, very good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for mentioning benefits of having Green smoothies in breakfast!! Well, I was also searching same kind of information on Green drink and here I got your article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first feature the best juicer Best Buy Hand Blender should have is a good quality motor. Quality motors not only enhance your daily blending needs but also ensure the juice comes out smooth. Power is of utmost importance when it comes to a good quality motor and ensures that different fruits of ranging thickness and weight are finely sliced and smoothly stirred by the rotating blade. Without enough power the motor would not produce quality work which means that even with a quality blade the properties becoming the best juicer blender are lost.

    A powerful blade is also standard for the best juicer blender. Stainless steel blades appear to have better strength to give fine blending while the steel maintain its luster by keeping free from corrosion. A great blade also dictates how fast the blending is done and how smooth the juice comes out. A weak blender blade will not only produce poor work to suppress the properties of the desired best juicer blender but will also reduce the durability of the blender.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A cart is an instrument that is used without any difficulties to transfer weighty machinery from here to there. On the off chance that you need to buy carts for your business, you may visit ELA Businesses, LLC at that stage. Their carts can be used from simple private movements to corporate migration of enormous scale. The standard is too good for their carts. Sheet pan cart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buy best blender for apple at: https://cocacafe.net/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chief capabilities associated with a home seem to be to help you keep, prepare yourself and additionally make meals diet and additionally to try and do corresponding projects just like dishwashing.whirlpool washer door locked light flashing

    ReplyDelete
  8. A pretty important functions of one's kitchen are to store, prepare and cook food and to accomplish related tasks including dishwashing.dishwasher pod t dissolving

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really cool post. I love this kitchen. It is completely the style that would fit me.whirlpool refrigerator t cooling

    ReplyDelete
  10. so pleasant assortment never seen such uncommon things kitchen cloths. much obliged for sharing this data.dishwasher pod not dissolving

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!