Friday, October 26, 2012

Mini Apple Pies (Gluten-free, vegan or Not)

Happy 5th Birthday to my dear sweet Nessa!  She is my gorgeous middle child with a huge heart of gold.  Being the middle child has been a gift for her.  She gets to wear two hats in the family:  the kid sister who adores her older brother and the doting big sister who helps "mother" her baby sister.   



Last weekend, she had her birthday party and we celebrated with Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes.  Today is the actual day of her birthday and quite frankly, I am a little tired of baking cakes and cupcakes.  I had been baking cakes and cupcakes for Baby's birthday (last month), Hubby's birthday (2 weeks ago) and Nessa's birthday (last weekend).  I think we are starting to get tired of birthday cake(s)!  

For a change, I'll make PIE.  Pie is special.  I bake pies for special occasions and holidays. Why not birthdays?  I'm sure there are people who will attest that a home made pie from scratch is made with 100% love. Love is the secret ingredient in my cooking and baking.  

Since it is Nessa's birthday, it is her turn to bring something for her Snack Day.  I thought that mini apple pies would be great for sharing at school! 

This recipe can be easily changed to gluten-free and vegan... or not.  At least there is this option for those with dietary or ethical considerations.  

Yes, they are a little more work than making one big pie.  I'll be honest.  They were downright tedious.  I did not like rolling out pie dough and cutting out 24 little circles of dough for my mini-cupcake pan. Maybe it's because I was running out of steam by the end of the day.  But for my Nessa, she is worth it. How often do you turn 5?  The smile on her face when she shares her little pies with her friends will make it all worthwhile.  

Mini Apple Pies
makes 24 mini cupcake sized pies

1 your favourite double crust piegluten-free or store bought

2 apples, cored, finely chopped (about 1/4-inch pieces)
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract 

Preheat oven to 425F.  Roll out pastry on floured work surface and cut out round 
circles with a large round cookie cutter or glass cup.  Gather up the scraps and reroll the rounds. 

Press each crust round into ungreased mini or regular muffin tin.  

In a large bowl, mix sugar, 1/4 cup flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.  Stir in apples until well mixed.  Spoon into pastry-lined muffin cups.  Cut butter into small pieces; sprinkle over filling.  Top with pastry.  Brush with milk and sprinkle with granulated sugar.  

- Adapted from Betty Crocker's Mini Apple Pies


Happy 5th Birthday, my dear sweet Nessa!  We are so happy to have you in our family.

Enjoy!

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. these look yummy, I have not bake a pie in so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were yummy but they were too much work! :)

      Delete

Let me know what you think!