Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies


Happy Halloween!  How can you resist a buttery, sweet sugar cookie on a dreary fall day?

This is my favourite "go-to" sugar cookie recipe. The ingredients are simple and the recipe is very straightforward.   It has never failed me and it is a DREAM to roll out.  The dough is soft and pliable -- wonderful to work with!  And believe me, I've baked enough treats.  I have even made some changes and the cookies are delicious.    

This recipe has been in my recipe collection for a few years now.  It was great to see my friend Lara post the same recipe on her blog The Wandering Fork a few weeks ago.  

I like to roll thin cookies for a sweet and crispy cookie.  Rolling the dough out thick (1/4" to 1/2")  will yield a nice soft cookie. I have made these lovely sugar cookies for Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter, Halloween, birthdays, parties, etc.  It's a great addition to any event. Sugar cookies also make wonderful gifts.  I have packaged them in cute cookie tins and they were much appreciated!     

Note:  This recipe makes a lot of cookies.  I usually cut the recipe in half.  This time, I made the full recipe with the intent of sharing.  So far, I have baked about 5 dozen thin cookies with only half the dough!  

The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies 
Makes 5 dozen, 2-inch cookies, rolled 1/4-1/2" thick

1 1/2 cups butter, softened  (I used 1/2 cup softened butter & 1 cup soft non-hydrogenated canola margarine)
2 cups white sugar (I decreased to 1 3/4 cup sugar)
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used 2 tsp)
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt


In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 6 to 8 minutes for thick cookies, 4-6 minutes for thin cookies in preheated oven.  Cool completely.

- Adapted from Allrecipes.com:  The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies


Have a Safe and Happy Halloween!

Enjoy!
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for trying the recipe! they look soooo yummy! The shapes are hilarious. I see you rolled them a bit more thin than I did...were they crispy/crunchy? I found rolling them 1/2 inch thick produced pretty fluffy cookies, with nice browned bottoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lara! The cookies turn out crispy and snappy when rolled out very thin. This recipe is so versatile as you can roll it to the cookie texture you like! This also makes really good "figurine" or playdough cookies too. :)

      Delete
  2. Jürgen Klopp is famously known as the club manager who has done some marvelous job for Liverpool FC of England.Jürgen Klopp


    ReplyDelete
  3. Who does not adore meals? That is unequivocally why we have got were given the idea of an tool that encourages you to discover the exquisite cafés close to you which of them ones is probably open at this point. Restaurants Near Me Open Now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a rundown for you - 20 Best Places to Visit near from 50km to 500km. points near me now

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!