Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Whole Wheat Blueberry Honey Bran Muffins

Trying to eat better is always a struggle!  I strive for balance and moderation. The cupcakes are a great treat and fundraiser but we can't that all the time or it wouldn't be special anymore.  Looking around the web, there is a wonderful movement for eating real food.  Food that is unrefined, unprocessed, made from scratch and organic.  

So I tried to look for a bran muffin recipe that was: 1) simple and easy  2) didn't use white sugar or white flour and 3) healthy.  I came across the Eat Clean Diet website for Blueberry Bran Muffins and had to give it a try! 


They turned out beautiful!  Maybe it's just me, but I thought they were a little on the sweet side.  Hubby didn't complain that they were too sweet.  Nor did the kids.  Next time, I will try use 1/3 cup honey instead of 1/2 cup and see if anyone notices the difference. 

Whole Wheat Blueberry Honey Bran Muffins

Makes 1 dozen
1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup skim milk (I used 1% buttermilk)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg
1/2 cup honey (Next time will try 1/3 cup)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt (I used 1/2 tsp )
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen) (I used 1.5 cup)

Preheat oven to 375F.  Line or spray muffin tins with oil. 

Mix together bran and milk - let stand 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, mix applesauce, egg, honey and vanilla. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, make a well. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stir until combined. Add bran/milk mixture and mix until just blended. Fold in blueberries.

Scoop into muffin tins and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the tops spring back when lightly tapped.

- From The Eat Clean Diet: Blueberry Bran Muffins

  
It's so rewarding to watch my family enjoy these muffins.  It keeps me going.  I try my best, but I won't feel guilty for the odd bag of potato chips and a rum (Malibu!) and Coke after a rough day! 


Enjoy!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!